Friday, February 5, 2010

California Dreamin’

“California Dreamin’” is a song by “The Mamas & The Papas written in 1963.

A short kind of simple song, jet so great and amusing. It’s a melodious slice of '60s pop nostalgia and it so mellow you just can sit back and relax.

The lyrics talks about a guy that is out on a cold winter day and he is longing for the warm California.

First verse:

“All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I've been for a walk on a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A.
California Dreamin' on such a winter's day”

The first verse describes that he is walking on a cold winter day where the leaves are brown and the sky is gray. And that he would be warm and safe in California.

“Stopped in to a church I passed along the way
Well I got down on my knees and I pretend to pray
You know the preacher liked the cold
He knows I'm gonna stay
California Dreamin' on such a winter's day”

On he’s walk he goes in to a church because he is cold and he is trying to get warm. So he goes in there and pretending to prey just so he can be warm. The preacher like the cold just because that when it’s cold outside many people will come in to the church and that good for the preacher and the preacher know he is going to stay just because it’s so cold outside.

“All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I've been for a walk on a winter's day
If I didn't tell her I could leave today
California Dreamin' on such a winter's day
California Dreamin' on such a winter's day
California Dreamin' on such a winter's day”

The line “If i didn't tell her I could leave today” i don’t really get, it doesn't fit in with the song, because the song was written by John Phillips on a  winter night in Manhattan when his young wife, Michelle, was homesick for Southern California. It doesn’t make sense because it’s his wife that is longing home…

Michelle said this about the song “It sounded like a dream”.

A song about longing for California, just Envision the clear skies, sun-washed beaches and swaying palm trees...:)

The guitar melody can I say is really harmonic and just that can carry you away in wonderfulness….

No comments:

Post a Comment